Tuesday, September 27, 2011

2011 - 9-27 - The Wahoo and the Wench

Tuesday, 9/27 We pulled anchor at 10:30, through the pass & out into the deep water of the Sound. I put my trolling line out even before we entered the pass. It was 7-8 hours to George Town but plans were uncertain if we would go straight through or anchor at Lee Stocking Island. We could see rain over the islands as we cruised southward. I was relaxing on the fly bridge when my pole bent over &
the line screeched out…FISH ON…I could tell it was a decent size but no idea yet what it was. We saw that it was a good sized Bull Dolphin (no, not Flipper). Excitement grew as we got it onto the swim platform…real puurdy & heavy! I was just getting ready to secure my pole & help bring him on board when Wayne let some slack in the line - he took the advantage & spit the hook (the fish, not Wayne)…off he swam. I guess you know I was NOT a happy camper & Wayne repeated over & over, “I’m so sorry…but there’s more out there“…yea-right! Line back out. Hours flew by, I found things to do around the boat. I was in the galley when I heard Wayne yell, FISH ON. I went running. My pole was bent almost in half, the line was singing out off the reel. Tension was so great on the pole I had a hell of a time getting it out of the holder. I put the pole in my belt & the fight began…lasted maybe an hour. Scupper was by my side the entire time. My joints were sore, my arms turned to jelly, my hands cramped & hurting. This guy was huge. Closer & closer until we could see him - OMG! It looked like a barracuda! I said, “I couldn’t have gone through all this for a stinking bad ass barracuda!” I brought him in closer - I think it’s a Wahoo…it IS a Wahoo - !!WAHOO!! Then he took his final run...Must’ve gone out 300 feet (they can swim 50mph you know). Good grief, I’ve got to do this all over again! Finally, we landed him onto the swim platform. Wayne took no chances this time & gaffed the sucker then, with all his strength, pulled him up on deck. The girls were going nuts barking, biting & scratching all over his body (the fish, not Wayne). He was 55” to the fork & must’ve weighed at least 50 lbs. This is a game-fisherman’s 'dream fish' & the meat is to die for.
Now the real work begins to filet & package up meals. He was so heavy I had to clean him on the deck. It took 2 hands & all my strength to just pick up the filets. I set aside a substantial amount for a dinner when Tom & Laurel arrive & the rest were wrapped in plastic wrap then vacuumed packed & frozen. All in all, about 30 meals for two. I was spent & vegged out on the fly bridge. We arrived in Elizabeth Harbour about 6 pm. We got internet but no TV. Another beautiful, star-filled night.

No comments:

Post a Comment