Tuesday, June 23, 2015

2015-6/20 to 6/23 - Grand Cay

                   Just an FYI, "Cay" is pronounced "Key".
At bit about the Abacos copied from Abaco Guide by Sandy Estabrook:
"The Abacos..... are in the northeastern Bahamas about 185 miles from Florida. They have been called Out Islands, Family Islands and the Friendly Islands all of which definitely apply. Here you will find friendly folks, a relatively bustling economy with none of the hassles and hustlers of fast paced Nassau, Paradise Island and Freeport...The Abacos, start in the north at Walkers Cay working their way 110 miles or so, down to Hole in the Wall and Sandy Point on Great Abaco. On Green Turtle Cay and Elbow Cay you'll find the old English loyalist settlements of New Plymouth & Hope Town with their colonial homes in hues of pastel colors. For the most part these Cays parallel the Island of Great Abaco and can be thought of as barrier islands as they are what separate the Atlantic from the shallow Sea of Abaco and Mainland Abaco. Unlike the classical sandy barrier islands of the eastern US, here they consist of limestone with some elevation and are protected on the ocean side by the third largest barrier reef in the world. For the most part the cays are green with mangroves and beautiful white sand beaches, one only dreams about. Most are uninhabited.

6/20 - We decided to visit Little Grand Cay which is a short jaunt north of Double Breasted. 

Some of Rosie's rentals
 "The Grand Cay group consists of five main islands (Grand, Big Grand, Little Grand, Rat & Felix Cays) with a settlement on Little Grand Cay marked with the prominent Batelco tower. About 200 people live there (2000). The waters round the cays are shallow, a mix of bone fish flats, mangrove channels & ocean beach. It's dinghy country, with good water colors, but the cays are not particularly beautiful..." That said, I don't agree that they "are not particularly beautiful" because the author doesn't mention the amazingly friendly, helpful & truly beautiful people on the island. Everyone smiles & not afraid to wave, say hello or stop & chat. It takes about a day to get to know almost everyone.
Before dinner at Rosie's restaurant, we had drinks at Rosie's bar. (We never met Rosie but he owns almost everything in town- marina; restaurant/bar; grocery/rental cottages & more stuff I'm sure

 
Very pretty Elaine, our bartender

 
Girl's day out at Rosie's

Laurel & I had the 'combo' of cracked conch & lobster tail - $21/each - prices have gone up. Lots of food-  leftovers-yes!. We also met the family who caught 70 - yes, 70 snapper.
They had their snapper cooked whole
They gave Laurel 3 snapper which gave me a chance to show her how to filet a fish.
She learns everything in a nano-second I swear
Our last time here was in 2007. (you can read our blog from then) I guess you figured out by now, I like to take pictures, especially of the kids...which I did in 2007. I printed out all the pictures of people I had taken 8 years ago & went ashore in search of them. I found all but a few but we sure met many others in the search. 

Inez was the most excited. She works at Rosie's grocery store - then & now. She left work at 1pm so I missed seeing her the first day. We walked the main road on Sunday, Father's day. I stopped to ask everyone I saw along the way showing them the pictures...everyone knew who & where they were. Inez lived across the street from a house I stopped at. I knocked at the door. Captain Winfield, Inez's husband came to the door. I showed him her picture...he said, "Nezzie, come out someone's here to see you". What a great reunion - hugging, touching, kissing. 
          Here are some of their pictures, then & now.   
circa 2007 - Still runs Rosie's grocery store to this day

 
2015 - Jason (see below for Jason in 2007), Inez & Captain Winfield

 
circa 2007 - Jason, Brenae, Legine, Brenyelle

circa 2007 - Angel & Blake - 3 years old
2015 - Blake now 11 years old - I found Angel but didn't get her picture-have no idea why ??








circa 2007 - PJ - age unknown & no one knows who the baby is ??
2015 - PJ & me
circa 2007 - Erinique
As we were walking through town, I saw a young girl with a little boy hop off a golf cart & go into a small store. I followed her & she said she was Erinique. Again, I didn't get a picture of her. (getting old sucks)
 
circa 2007 - Kenique & Julette

 
2015 - Julette standing next to me

 
2015 - Kenique on the right; George on the left (see below for George in 2007)

 
circa 2007 - George in his grocery store



Everyone asked for a copy - I promised to drop some copies of the pictures at the grocery in the morning. I should have remained in the grocery for the past 2 days as everyone I couldn't find, showed up including grandfathers, uncles, cousins of these kids. I couldn't keep track of everyone.
We walked further to the Batelco tower & found a little bar/restaurant called 'Ron's Place'. The bartender, Sam, had her 2 little kids & watching 2 others except Sam's kids left before I got their picture.
This is Ron



Sam with Wayne, Laurel & Arianna
Marco (makes the best conch fritters) Wayne, Laurel, Rarcado, Scupper & Jack
Arianna in Wayne's hat - picture taken by Rarcado
             We left Grand at 0930 on the 23rd & headed 
south - but to where ??





No comments:

Post a Comment