Monday, June 11, 2007

2007 - 6/11 - The Crossing






Haulover Cut - Good bye USA
Monday, June 11;  No wind, no chop, sun’s just coming up– Couldn’t ask for a better day to cross.  So maybe the Dolphin legend must be true.  We were out through Haulover pass by 7:00 am. Only a wisp of wind…the sea looked like a lake. Gorgeous day – a perfect day! 
I got my fishing poles and gear ready; put on the fighting belt. I’m ready for the big one…  The first strike was so-so but still exiting but also disappointing when we saw it was a very big and ugly barracuda! Line back in the water.  I waited, I paced, I played with the dogs, I checked the lures, checked the lines – nothing, nada. I putted around in the cabin, had a few snacks, drink of water, bathroom, I’m down in the forward cabin, stripped, ready to don my bathing suit when Wayne screams, “FISH ON”!  He puts the boat in neutral; I fly up and out on deck.  The dogs are under foot, barking their heads off, I’m topless, Wayne is asking what to do and I’m just trying to hold on to the pole for dear life. This was a big guy.  I’m reeling and reeling - something’s wrong- it’s not reeling in the line.  Great- just great! What a crappy time for the reel to screw up. Wayne came to the rescue –the line was tangled at the tip of the rod.  OK, now I got him … He jumped at least 5 times-(the fish, not Wayne) what a sight!… the boat was in neutral and the fish, not Wayne, started to go under the boat; Wayne quickly put the boat in slow forward speed in order to tire him out.
Dolphin catch - 49", 24" girth
You're gonna get fish breath - UGH !!
  We were finally able to gaff him and get him aboard. Molly did a ‘ho hum’ and acted like she sees huge fish on the deck every day – Scupper was curious but also afraid and skittish. They were both in the way and under foot and still barking. The Dolphin was flailing all around nearly hitting the girls with his big tail – blood is spattering everywhere and Wayne is trying to ask over the din if we can continue.  He was big bull, (the Dolphin, not Wayne) 49”from nose to tip of tail, 24” girth – we estimated him to be 25-30 pounds. Again, I’m cleaning!  Had to clean him on the deck as there is no other place big enough. Huge fillets enough for about 12 meals.  Problem is, the freezer’s full now and I can’t fish for a while.
Arrived at Old Bahama Bay resort & Yacht Harbor at the West End of Grand Bahama at 5:00 pm. Q-flag up. Customs closed. Let’s do happy hour and eat out as a special treat…
Ahhh…The end to a perfect first day.
West End - Grand Bahama


 

No comments:

Post a Comment