Sunday, August 7, 2011

2011 - 8/7 - Bottom Harbor Beach Club - North Eleuthera


8/7 for the past few nights we heard music coming from someplace on the north shore of Eleuthera - but where? All we saw were homes scattered here & there. It was a beautiful day, sunny, hot but refreshing breezes from ESE. Put the dinghy in & took off, girls in tow, in search of the Island music. But first, we had to explore the back waters. The water was crystal clear with a multitude of colors - breathtaking. As in the back waters on Chub, turtles were scurrying everywhere - Supper on the look-out. We checked out all the homes looking for signs of a restaurant/bar with music. We finally found the source - Bottom Harbor Beach Club. Much to our surprise, there was a live band playing-not the radio that we first thought. Now THIS is what I’m talkin about !! Basic, down-to-earth, no frills place with real people. Farl is the new owner - took over 3 weeks ago. He has lots of ideas & plans for cleaning up the place but I suggested he still keep it simple & homey. The band consisted of a guy who plays a saw; a home-made drum;a guitar & shakers made from aluminum beer bottles with stones in them. Farrell let me taste his concoction of Gin & Coconut water (there’s an island song about that) called Sky Juice, but he also added rum - I’m hooked. Soon the place filled up with all kinds of people & the band got hotter. Everyone was dancing. There were many locals, a group of 20 something’s from the States, a group from Italy. I was soaked in sweat (unusual for me) but everyone was dripping - we took off for the beach, drinks in hand, to the cooling waters. I was worried about taking
The Maryland Connection-Liz, Jason, Tina, Vanessa
Scupper & Molly but turned out Farrell has 2 huge Basset Hounds named Hollywood &amp Columbo then out of the blue, 3 big tan dogs arrived. They all had the run of the joint. I learned about these Jagermeister shot drinks with a bit of energy drink - the ‘kids’ knew all about it - I was mesmerized how all the shot glasses fell into Farrell, the new owner


Our Italian connection
Vanessa & Tonya
each glass. I had mine with Vodka. The music didn’t quit. The place was packed by 9pm. Pictures are the only thing that can describe the silliness of the night. It reminded us of the night we happened upon the Berry Island Club in 2001. It was fate that took us there & we were part of an amazing night. That’s just what happened here. The people meshed, no cares in the world, living for the moment. The next day we simply vegged out. I got
very itchy, a light rash on my entire back, upper thighs & inner arms. Drove me nuts trying to sleep; got up rinsed off on the swim platform; powdered myself; finally took a Benadryl; sleep
Once you get past checking out the girls - look @ this guy's face
finally came. Wayne rubbed me down with vinegar the next day & boy did that sting! Am I allergic to the Mangoes,  the coconut water OR it was sea lice ?? I read that mangoes are in the same family as poison ivy. So, silly me, skinned another mango just to see. Yup! I'm certain it's the mango skin-the rash is spreading. gotta wear gloves next time cuz I love the drink.









No comments:

Post a Comment