Tuesday, May 24, 2005

2005-5-24 - Isla Margarita - Venezuela


Ah...the dawn of a new day (from Captain Ron-watch it if you haven't yet) After checking out the daily board, we had another awesome breakfast & stayed for storytime. As usual, we didn't take the guided tours available - maybe we should re-think that theory ? 


"Margarita Island (Isla de Margarita) is the largest island in the Venezuelan state of Nueva Esparta, situated off the northeastern coast of the country, in the Caribbean Sea. The capital city of Nueva Esparta, La Asunción, is located on the island. Primary industries are tourism, fishing and construction. Christopher Columbus became the first European to arrive on Margarita Island in 1498. The local natives were the Guaiqueries people. The coast of the island was abundant in pearls, which represented almost a third of all New World tribute to the Spanish Crown. Margarita Island was fortified against the increasing threat of pirate attacks, and some fortifications remain today".

Isla Margarita, for me, was fairly forgettable...I don't remember much of what we did. I know we walked around the town &, honestly, nothing stands out in my memory. I got some nice pictures & some of the following pictures were taken by Dario on the tour.





Dolphin the fish - not flipper - yum

 
Tour boats


Looks just like Florida

Tour group

 When we returned to the GRACE, a few guys were fishing off the back of the boat. My friend, whose name escapes me now, caught a Snook! Do you know hard it is to catch a snook??? I was amazed. I think the crew ate it.
Yummy Snook

























At 8 pm, they brought a live band aboard to play at the "Penthouse" which is upper deck, outside. The penthouse, which you can see behind the band, is the most expensive 'suite' on the boat. I guess we either stayed overnight or left late at night.


That's Wayne & me on the left


Captain Jorge - he has a great job doesn't he??

Tomorrow is a sea day






















































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment